Monday, October 6, 2008

Monday

I just got back from our first djembe session! Djembe is a kind of Senegalese drum. I love it, I wish I got to just have drum lessons the whole week instead of sharing the time with dance as well. The people who had dance today loved it but looked like they'd stepped out of the shower. (As Zoe has already noted on HER blog.) I do like to dance but I'm pretty lousy at it, and I'd so much rather be learning djembe. We learned three main rhythms today, sort of. My hands hurt a little bit afterwards, but not much.

Last night I called my parents (well, I actually had THEM call ME, which was kind of them) because it was 1AM and the power was out so it was too hot to sleep. I wasn't unhappy, though, just hot and bored. Of course as soon as they called me back the power went back on, so I was ridiculously happy. How do you describe the heat and cockroach climbing outside your mosquito net to your parents and NOT make them freak out? It's hard to explain how I'm so happy here, but I am. And I killed the cockroach after I got off the phone with them so score one point for me.

I'm trying to get used to writing short updates, instead of waiting a week just to write the perfect long explanation of one incredible day. So that's all for now, I have to go home and eat dinner! I hope it's not ceebu jen, as I now officially have what we students here call 'the ceebu jen blues'.

xoxo,
Robin

p.s. Dear Mom,
Do not, I repeat, DO NOT! make me any dishes with fish in them for at least one month after I come home. Kay, thanks.
:D

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Listen to djembe.

http://www.djembedirect.com/sounds/products/2470_1.mp3

Anonymous said...

REad about the SEM Fund (Robin wants to work for them).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYtfviYA38Q

Happy Birthday, Robin!