Saturday, June 13, 2009

Quick and Shameless Plug...

I've been meaning to write for awhile. And now I'm sick, so this isn't the update. Really, update is coming, but I have a fever and was throwing up my anti-nausea medication (Irony?) all night, so I have a good excuse! This is just to say sorry for not saying anything. Er... and to give you this link to the Against Malaria Peace Corps Fundraiser for Senegal that is being organized by my friend Ellen. Well, it's being organized by the Peace Corps in Senegal, but she's the contact on the facebook event page. :p

I met Ellen last year when I visited Diourbel (I think I wrote about that visit and her on this blog) and she was kind enough to share her bed and mosquito net with me then. She was just moving in to her Peace Corps site... I saw her again in Dakar recently, which was lovely, and gave her the peanut butter I had brought from the states for her. (It's weird the things you can't get overseas.) She's recently gone vegan, not an easy thing to do in Senegal, so I'm gad to give her some protein. Hee.
Anyway, this is a good cause, and a cause I can vouch for in terms of money being well-used and going directly to people who need it. Plus I've given so many shameless plugs for Kiva.org (and more still to come) that I figured I should plug something ese for a change!

Okay. Really, more to come soon, once I am feeling better.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, we have saved half a life. Now, we are ready to donate through KIVA but tell us who to donate to! xoxo MOM

Robin said...

http://www.kiva.org/app.php?page=businesses&queryString=senegal&status=fundRaising&gender=All&sectors[]=All&regions[]=Africa&sortBy=Popularity

Not sure if that link will work, but if you go to kiva.org and go to "lend" and search for senegal, that's what you get. SEM Fund isn't fundraising for loans right now, they're in the repayment part of their cycle I guess. But I've met people with loans from Caurie Microfinance, too, in Palmerin, so I know that they are a legit and worthy organization as well!