Monday, May 25, 2009

Good Rade

It's the end of my third day in Dakar, technically. I'm still here in the hotel, Good Rade, until Wednesday or so. I'm going to stay here until I move into my homestay, which was provided by my NGO.

Yesterday, Sunday, I went to visit my old host family for lunch. It was wonderful to see them all again. I think I surprised my host brother and sister and mother and father by giving them huge hugs. Can't remember if that's how you greet people ever in Senegal, but they've hung out with enough Americans to not be too shocked. They're all doing really well. The twins were there, because they're home from school, and the older brother, Babocar, who was in France the whole time I was there, is home now, too. So for once it seems the whole family is under one roof. My host mom even remembered that my grandmother had been sick and asked after her, which was really sweet of her. (They've had a lot of American students and I know they sort of blur together sometimes.)

My host brother drove me to a market so I could get a cell phone and SIM card, which I did. Then I headed back to the hotel, and got some food at the bakery next door. Things are low-key for now. I visited SIT today, and my internship. My boss, Ismael Diallo, was happy to see me and told me that tomorrow we would work out my work and travel schedule and talk about the homestay he's set up for me.

Ate yassa poison today for 600cfa. That's $1.20, and it was delicious!
Also did some shopping, mainly just to walk around downtown and remind myself what I love about Dakar and why I'm here. It's quite odd to be here without other students. I imagine that the hardest part of being here will be finding people to go out with or eat out with. (Not that I lack for friendly overtures, I received three implied marriage proposals today.) Still, I'm happy to be here and OH, I forgot to say, the weather is AWESOME!

I almost wish it was worse, so that I could adjust to that and then know that it couldn't get any hotter. Instead, it's balmy, breezy and sunny. I'm not even sweating! I know July, and maybe even June, will be much more humid and hot, but for now it's glorious.

That's all for now, I'm gonna go to sleep and have some anti-malarial-induced dreams!
Mariama

4 comments:

Dad said...

The fish dinner sounds delicious...mom will make when you return

Dad

Chris Locs said...

Way to NOT follow my blog :-p

Ashley said...

WOw! I am glad that you arrived there safely and that you are happy. I wish I was there with you! Love you and am glad that you are posting. I will follow as much as I can! xoxoxoxox

Claire said...

Sounds like it's going to be a good time. Keep up the posts here and on facebook so we can follow your trip!