Thursday, November 6, 2008

Si, Nous Apparemment Pouvons

Heather asked me, via facebook, what it was like finding out in Africa. The truth is that the finding-out of it was all very american, despite the fact that we were all very aware of where we were. It's the aftermath that is incredible to experienc here.

Here in Senegal, we are required to carry around an ID at all times. (everyone is). When I got to the university cheik ante diop today to print some stuff out at the cyber cafe where I am writing this now, there were some uniformed officials at the gates of the university checking IDs. It's the first time I'd actually been checked, so I was sort of nervous. (Once an SIT student didn't have her ID and there was a check at a nightclub and they spent the night in jail before SIT came and brought their passport! Unless that story is just a scare tactic by SIT...).

Guard: I.D.
Me: (not understanding) Do you have to be a student to get in?
Guard: I.D.
Me: Oh, okay, I.D. Um, I have this. Is that okay?
Guard: ...
Me: Is it enough?
Guard: (nods)
Me: Ca va?
Guard: (handing it back) You're an American, then.
Me: Oh, yes, American, yes, me, right.
Guard: (seriously) Maintenant, nous sommes tous les freres, eh? (Now, we are all brothers. but it sounds silly in english). Obama, eh?
Me: Oh, yes, Obama, thank you, I'm so happy, we're all so happy, here, see my pin? It says Obama!
Guard: So you're American. How does one get to the states?
Me: I mean...
Guard: Is it easier if you have an American wife?
Me: I mean, Senegal's nice, too, why not stay here?
Guard: Because my brother has an American wife.
Me: Isn't that nice. Um, go Obama. And, ah, I'm going to the cyber cafe now.

So things change but they stay the same, too. I still talk politics with everyone I meet here, like the guy sitting next to me waiting for me to finish writing this so he can talk to me some more. I have no idea who he is but I just finished explaining the theoretical differences between democrats and republicans versus the actual differences now. Then I ranted about church and state and the evangelical south. All because he started talking to me about Obama. The difference now is that instead of talking to people about politics because I feel the need to excuse my country, they come up to me and say 'Hey, american! Congratulations!'. All this is just to say that I have NEVER been so proud to be American in my life, and I hope to keep this feeling for a long time.

Gotta run back to school now. More later I hope!

3 comments:

Emily said...

hey chica! just thought you'd like to hear that I'm having the exact same thing happen to me...well minus the american wife thing. Before, all people wanted to do was talk to me about the election and who I wanted to win, and ever since Obama won, people have been coming up to me and congratulating me/america on our new president. It's been really interesting/weird, but I like it. Sounds like you're still having an amazing time over there! Can't wait to talk to you!

Anonymous said...

Actually, it's kind of nice here in NJ also...

Anonymous said...

nice :)